Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Melbourne Diary - Food

I was keen to revisit two eateries in Melbourne.

1. Brunetti

There are a few branches in Melbourne although I've only been to the one in the city outside the Westin.

Mr Curious and I headed to the cafe soon after we handed on Saturday afternoon. I was only interested in one thing - the Italian Hot Chocolate. And it was as good as I remembered.

Photobucket

Side-view

Photobucket

The chocolate was so smooth and velvety, it felt like I was drinking a block of chocolate. I only added a small dollop of cream which softens the chocolate a tiny bit without diluting the rich flavour.

I wanted to have it again but the weather was too warm on the other days.

Go and try it if you're ever in Melbourne - you won't be disappointed!

Brunetti City Square
214 Flinders Lane
Melbourne
(03) 9663 8085

2. Ezard at Adelphi

I am a big fan of Ezard since my first visit back in 2000. I have been back every time I was in Melbourne (except the last time in 2008 when the tennis ran overtime). I was really looking forward to Ezard's fusion Asian-Mod Oz concoctions.

Here are photos of some of the 8 course degustation menu we had:

kingfish sashimi with toasted sesame custard, chardonnay vinegar and shallot vinaigrette

Photobucket

crispy zucchini flower, herbed goats cheese and mascarpone, panzanella salad and balsamic syrup

Photobucket

five spiced bangalow sweet pork belly with celeriac and apple remoulade and mustard sauce

Photobucket

seven score wagyu beef with creamed truffle potatoes, asparagus, foie gras, king brown mushrooms, sticky shallot sauce and mache salad

Photobucket

chocolate marquise, hazelnut biscuit, blood orange sorbet

Photobucket

The degustation menu is $135 for 8 courses which is pretty reasonable. The wagyu beef has a $20 surcharge.

The meal was very enjoyable, although it didn't have the wow factor from previous visits. Maybe my palate has changed but I found that some of the sauces overwhelmed the ingredients.

The other main course was roast duck with green chilli and shallot sauce, stir fried garlic shoot, bok choy and coconut rice. In retrospect I wished I ordered that because the coconut rice was a highlight from my previous visit.

The service was attentive, but some of the waitstaff sounded too rehearsed when they introduced the dishes, like they were reading from a script (which they probably were).

I still recommend Ezard to anyone and will visit again, maybe I'll try the a la carte menu next time.

Ezard at Adelphi
187 Flinders Lane
Melbourne
(03) 9639 6822


3 comments:

  1. I adore a Brunetti Hot Choc - simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't tried the brunetti hot choc. it looks hardcore!

    i like ezards. only went once and did the vegetarian degustation.
    might go again soon!
    i felt the service was a bit stiff too!
    rehearsed...not so genuine in their words...
    it was awkward sitting there because of it.
    i prefer a more warm service with a bit of a chat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cotton Socks - you really have to give Brunetti a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails