Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cooking up a storm

I'm not a cook by nature.  I can't whip up something sponetaneously with the ingredients I have in the fridge.  What I can do is follow instruction - so if there is a recipe I can cook something step by step.

After cooking a lot for The Little Guy I am slowly being a bit more adventurous with my choice of recipes.

Last night I ventured a bit out of my comfort zone by baking.  My last attempt was a failure so I was a bit apprehensive.

I bought the Strawberry and Vanilla jam from Bitton so I followed their recipe to make a Strawberry, Vanilla and Apple Shortcake.  This is what it's supposed to look like:

Photobucket

I have no idea how to make dessert.  When the recipe said "cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until smooth" I didn't know what I should use to blend.  I ended up using a hand-held food processor.  I didn't know what to do with the butter either - I tried blending without softening the butter and of course it didn't work.  30 seconds at low power in the microwave did the trick.

The next obstacle?  " Knead until smooth", said the recipe.  Well how do I know if it's smooth enough?  This is the dough before kneading:

Photobucket

I kneaded it for a few minutes and it looked OK but I didn't know if it was ready so I kneaded a bit more (BTW can you over-knead?).  This is the dough after kneading.

Photobucket

I was a bit worried about the apples.  From recipe: "Place the apples and 3 tablespoons of water into a medium saucepan over a low heat and allow to soften (about 15 minutes)".  I didn't think 3 tablespoons of water would have been enough, but after a while I saw that the heat rose through the juice in the apple slices so that was OK.

Photobucket

I didn't have a rolling pin either so I just used my hands to flatten the dough.


I was anxiously waiting for the timer to beep.  When it was ready I opened the oven door and it looked OK!

Photobucket

I didn't have any icing sugar, and the strawberries that I bought last weekend gone off early, so I couldn't make it look prettier.  It passed the taste test though.

Photobucket

The recipe suggested serving with whipped cream (which I didn't have either), I can see why they suggested it as the pastry was a bit on the dry side, but I'm not a big fan of whipped cream so I think I'll serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or mascarpone next time.

And today I had another first - I roasted a whole chicken for the first time!  The recipe is from Kraft.  I received a cookbook for free a little while ago when I bought some Philly cream cheese.  Of course every recipe uses cream cheese in one way or another.

This is the recipe I chose - Roast Chicken with Cream Cheese and Herb Stuffing.

It was surprisingly easy to prepare.  I bought a chicken from my butcher today (found out that they grow herbs at the back of the shop and they give them out for free - bonus!) and it didn't take long to finish the prep work.

This is the finished product.

Photobucket

I put the stuffing on the wrong side of the chicken, but it tasted good anyway.

That's enough cooking for me for a while - it's gonna be pizza tomorrow night!

Shane the butcher gave it a recipe for pork knuckles today - that may be my next project!

3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome. Makes me hungry just looking at it! Next time, have some ice cream with that shortcake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon the taste test is more important, but your dishes look great too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails