Friday, March 5, 2010

Sick little boy


It was an exhausting day yesterday.  The Little Guy kept waking up in his cot on Tuesday night so I kicked Mr Curious out of the bed (figuratively speaking) and put The Little Guy next to me in bed.  At this point I didn't realise that he was sick, I just thought he was having a poor night of sleep. 

I haven't co-sleep with him since he was about 3 months old.  It was very cute when he put his head on my chest and I enjoyed those moments.  However, I didn't enjoy him wriggling in the bed for hours; I couldn't sleep until he did.

He had a bit of a runny nose yesterday morning and a slight temperature.  Thinking that he was having a mild cold, we met up with 2 women and their boys from the mothers' group.  He wasn't 100% but he appeared to be OK.

Then we left for home, and he fell asleep within a minute in the car seat.  He was so tired I didn't want to wake him up, so after we arrived home I stayed in the car with him for almost an hour.  I had a little nap as well.

At around 11am he woke up and I took him back to the apartment.  He felt very hot so I checked his temperature again and it was over 39 degrees.  I called our GP immediately and had an appointment within the hour.  The GP said TLG was having a viral infection, so nothing would help except for some Baby Nurofen to help with the fever.

TLG was crying when we left the GP.  I suspected he was hungry, and ducked into the deli across the road looking for something for him (he finished the sultana supply at the doctor's).  Nothing was suitable so I asked for a slice of bread, and he ate a little bit but started crying again.  We made a quick exit and I drove home.

He fell asleep in the car again but this time I took him back home straight away.  I held him in my arms and he had a restless sleep.  I tried putting him in his cot but he woke up every single time.

By 1:30pm I was famished and I decided to have some leftovers from last night.  It was next to impossible to take the plate from the kitchen back to the loungeroom and TLG woke up.  He devoured almost 1/2 of a chicken breast, as well as some vegetable, and he was in a better spirit afterwards.  The Nurofen must have kicked in.

I was knackered by 3:30pm and couldn't stay up so I put TLG in our bed, turned the TV on to ABC Kids, and had a restless nap.  He had a bit of rest eventually too.

After he woke from that nap his body was burning.  I checked his temperature again and the thermometer read 40.1 degrees!  I called the national health advice line (1800 022 222) whilst TLG screamed his lungs out.  I could hardly work out what the nurse was saying over the phone, but eventually answered her questions and she said it wasn't something more serious.  TLG calmed down a bit afterwards and had another nap in my arms.

TLG had another dose of Nurofen at 6:30pm and was in as good a mood as a sick person could be, and went to bed relatively easily.  However, as soon as the meds worn off he woke up and started crying again.  Mr Curious tried to calm him down but it was to no avail.  Mr Curious brought TLG to our bedroom and said "he doesn't want to have anything to do with me".  Whenever Mr Curious hold him TLG cried and tried to get out, and would point at me.  Eventually I asked Mr Curious to give TLG to me.

Mr Curious was very frustrated and stormed off.  It was hard to have an angry husband as well as a sick child, but I was too exhausted to do anything about it.

Eventually I knocked on TLG's bedroom door and Mr Curious came out.  I can imagine his frustration for not being able to calm TLG down.  I think he was trying to reason with TLG, to make him understand that daddy can look after him too, but I think the bond between TLG and me are stronger at this stage (all those breastfeeds meant something I guess) and when TLG is in distress he wants his "security blanket".  I think Mr Curious is frustrated also when I took TLG off him, I guess he thought that I didn't give him a chance to build that bond, but it was hard for me to do anything else when my little boy was crying and looking for me.

Eventually it was 12:30am and we gave TLG another dose of Nurofen, and after holding him for a while longer I put him back in his cot.  He woke up a few more times during the night and Mr Curious tended to him.

Mr Curious is at home today looking after TLG and I am at work.  I called at 8:30am and TLG has just woken up.  Mr Curious said that TLG thought I was still at home and was pointing everywhere looking for me.  There's nothing I could do until I get home today. 

I hope they have a better day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh what an ordeal. Poor TLG. So scary with his temp so high! And I hope Mr CG gets a good chance to tend to his little boy today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elise. TLG is resilient little boy. Somehow he managed to crack a smile through all the pain and aches yesterday.

    Mr Curious called earlier and TLG's fever is gone for now, which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy,
    you feel utterly useless when they are sick and there isn't anything you can do about it, don't you?.
    Glade he is feeling better now, looks like the zoo was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi FatGirl. Yes, it is incredibly difficult when you see your child suffering and there is nothing you can do besides giving him lots of cuddles.

    The zoo was fun, although I think Mr Curious and I enjoyed it a bit more than TLG!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails