Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Single Man

I was going to blog about my trip to HK but didn't know where to start, so I decided to travel down a tangent and write about the movie I watched on the plane on the way back to Australia.

I didn't know anything about A Single Man besides the fact that Tom Ford directed it. I like watching movies that I knew nothing about - diving in without any preconception (I watched Fargo and The Crying Game in this manner - great fun, the latter was a shock!)

This is not going to be a proper review, just my random impressions. There are going to be spoilers though so stop reading if you are planning to watch the movie.

* Colin Firth was amazing. The lust and love in the scenes with his lover, the pain and anger when he received the phone call, the fury when he exploded in the lecture about fear and minorities. The Oscars nomination was well deserved.

* I also liked Julienne Moore (I was so touched by her performance in The Hours).  Her character was a tragic one - pining for someone who will never be able to love her the way she wants him to. I found the interactions between Firth and her fascinating.

* Anyone remember the awkward little boy in About A Boy?

Photo: thesun.co.uk

Well he is a no longer a boy ...

Photo: Courtesy of the Weinstein Company

What a hottie!  The sexual tension between him and Firth was palpable.  I found this interview when I was searching for the photo above - interesting read.

* The movie was beautifully filmed but the tiny screen on the plane didn't do it any justice.  Great debut by Tom Ford.  Good soundtrack too.

* I was disappointed by the ending.  It was too ... neat?  I guess it's meant to be ironic but I just didn't feel it. 

I may watch it again when it's available on DVD, if only for the eye candy factor ;-)

Did you see the movie?  If yes, what are your thoughts?

---

On a separate note, Mr Curious and BIL saw Kick-Ass tonight, they said it was great.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the movie but I've seen Nicholas Hoult playing a very gritty role in Skins. Boy, has he grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow he is a cutie now all grown up


    i wanna watch kick ass! looks like a really cool and funny movie hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. BuBbles - I've never watched Skins, is it a good show?

    Betty - I don't think I'd watch Kick-Ass in the cinemas (especially since Mr Curious has seen it already) but I may get to it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails