Friday, May 14, 2010

HK diary 5 - Ocean Park

Hong Kong Disneyland may be more famous but I have a soft spot for Ocean Park.  I have been there as a kid and I always enjoyed my visits.  So during our HK visit we went to the park with my sister, BIL, nieces and my sister's in-laws.

With TLG in tow we didn't get on any rides, but there were so many animal displays to keep us entertained.

There was a "dragon" exhibition on the day we visited - which was in fact a collection of lizards.  It was billed being "rare and exotic", so Mr Curious had a good laugh when a common iguana was on display.  Nonetheless TLG enjoyed it immensely.

Photobucket

You can see TLG checking out the water monitor.

Photobucket

TLG was asleep when we saw the jellyfish display which was fantastic.  Here are the poor quality photos I took.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here are photos I found on flickr which did it justice.

Photo: on Flickr by night86mare

Photo: on Flickr by luke chan chan

TLG was mesmerised by the sea creatures on display at the Atoll Reef, a multi-level aquarium.  I think he will enjoy it even more now because he can say "fish".

Photo: on Flickr by AltEisenRiese

 We rode the cable car with great view of Deep Water Bay.

Photo: on Flickr by stephenk1977

We also rode the extensive outdoor escalators.
Photo: on Flickr by darakusan

At the goldfish exhibit there were a lot of strange looking fishes.  Some varieties have bulging puffs near their eyes or no dorsal fin - they were bred that way for their "beauty".  I found them a bit creepy.

Photo: on Flickr by darakusan

My highlight of the day, by a big margin, was the panda exhibit. 

Photobucket

TLG and I were looking for ages as the panda strolled down from the cave and started eating.  Very cute!

At $HK250 (around $A35) per adult, Ocean Park is great value, and we will probably visit again on our next HK trip.

Two pieces of advice if you're planning to go:

(1) If you're bringing a pram/stroller, be prepared to carry it for a bit. The park was built in the 70s and wheelchair/pram friendly access was not in vogue back then.

(2) Bring your own lunch. The food on offer were expensive (by HK standard), unhealthy and barely palatable.

15 comments:

  1. No matter what level of your fitness, developing a proper fitness program will allow you to make improvements to your golf
    swing. Every time you head to the bathroom, take a minute or two and
    turn it into your temporary personal travel fitness station.
    Emotion linked to a definite objective is a strong mixture.



    My webpage - visit the following web site

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, while I am no roving reporter I am endeavoring with my menial reporting skills,
    to bring you. Both the content and presentation of news are drastically different from what it used to be.
    It's more than just doing the right things or being involved in a good opportunity.

    my web-site; http://bigpictureinitiative.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. They aim at miming various good qualities of the counterparts of
    the assumed celebrity. This glass would cost less than $1000 and would
    be available to almost all the people in Britain.
    It the radio was the only one that used to deliver the
    days news and weather updates.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... Latest Daily News

    ReplyDelete
  4. Countless teenage parties have been spiced up by this funny little game, and countless adolescent mischiefs have amused
    millions of young people. But my favorite is the link that tells
    you about bad dates stories, of course they are the funniest.
    Make your Myspace profile look cool and leave your friends Funny Myspace Comments and Glitter Graphics.


    Review my web site: telcatis.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up, I read your new stuff daily. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep up the good work!

    Here is my site; simply click the up coming website page

    ReplyDelete
  6. To subscribe, visit the magazine's web site and click on their 'subscribe' button. By now it's a well established scientific fact that outdoor exercises are really
    good for your mental and emotional, as well as your physical health.
    This type of exercise will increase your cardiovascular endurance,
    improve your flexibility, increase your muscle strength, improve your balance and can actually reduce
    the risk of osteoporosis.

    My weblog; social.toptecheng.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Additionally, the large pharmaceutical companies have refocused their attention on the potentials to be found in some of
    the more creative start-ups. * It is available to pass through entities such as
    partnerships, S corps, as well as traditional C corps.
    They also question resveratrol's role as a general Sirtuin stimulator.

    Check out my site - Continue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right here is the perfect site for anyone who would like to understand
    this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I
    personally will need toÖHaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a topic which has
    been discussed for decades. Great stuff, just
    great!

    my web page :: entertainment celebrity news articles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, аll the tіme і useԁ
    to chеck blog ρosts here еarly іn
    the ԁaωn, sincе i enјοу to learn morе аnd moгe.


    Heгe іs my website; lash serum review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastіc post however , І was ωοndеring if you cοuld wrіte a littе more on this topiс?
    I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Kudos!

    my web blog; turkey Deep fryer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Αt this tіme it lοoks like
    Exρressіon Engine iѕ the best blogging
    ρlatfoгm out thеге rіght now.
    (from ωhаt I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

    Take a look at my web site ... stainless steel ice cream maker

    ReplyDelete
  12. After looking into a feω οf the artiсles
    on youг blog, I truly apprecіаte yοur way of wrіting а blog.
    Ι boоk marκeԁ it tο mу bookmark wеbsitе lіst
    anԁ will bе checkіng back soon. Takе a look at my
    websitе аs well and tell mе your opinіοn.


    Аlso vіsit my wеb page :: epilator Review

    ReplyDelete
  13. I juѕt coulԁ not leave your ωebsite
    ρrіоr to ѕuggеsting that Ι
    еxtгemely loved the usual іnfoгmatiоn аn indiνіdual pгovidе in your visitors?
    Iѕ going to be bасk regularly to invеstigаte сrοѕs-cheсk nеw ρostѕ

    My web ρаge: nandos vouchers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Howdy! I ѕіmрly ωаnt to offer yοu a hugе
    thumbs up fοr your grеat іnfо you have
    right heгe οn thiѕ post. I аm returning tо yοuг blog for more ѕoon.



    Feеl fгеe tο visit mу web-ѕite wet dry epilator

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was curious if yοu eveг thought οf
    changing thе ѕtгuсtuге οf
    youг blog? Its νery well wгitten; I lοve ωhat youve gοt to say.
    But maуbe you could a little mοгe in the wаy of contеnt so people cοulԁ connect wіth
    it better. Youve got an аwful lot οf teхt for оnly haѵing 1 or two imagеѕ.

    Maybe уou could ѕpacе it out betteг?


    Looκ at mу web page ... paris restaurant guide

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails