Friday, June 25, 2010

Italian beef casserole

I bought some premium diced beef at the Northside Produce Market last week for a slow cooked meal.  I consulted Entice magazine (available at your local butcher or online) and the Italian beef casserole looks like a winner.

I made stock again, this time with beef bones.  It is a little bit of work for a lot of gain.  I think the key is to season it just enough to bring out the favours of the ingredients.

beef casserole

The magazine emphasised the importance of browning the meat in batches, otherwise they will be tough.

beef casserole

The cooking process is very simple, just brown the meat, cook the vegies, coat with flour and seasoning, add stock and wait until the dish is simmering, put it in the oven, stir every 40 mins and it's ready in 2 hours.

beef casserole

The beef is melt-in-your-mouth tender, and I like that it is a relatively light dish (I'm not a big fan of casseroles with ultra-rich sauces, too heavy for me to stomach).

beef casserole

TLG had a bowl for lunch and raided my serve for seconds!  His seal of approval is good enough for me :-D

1 comment:

  1. sounds delicious ms curious. I have enjoyed catching up on your blog comments...been in HK so didnt get a chance to read them all yet. Keep up the good work. Anurag

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails