Monday, September 6, 2010

Chicken in balsamic, orange and rosemary sauce

I was either searching for a chicken casserole or a chicken drumsticks recipe yesterday but somehow a pan fried chicken breast recipe came up in the search results.

The combination of ingredients - balsamic vinegar, orange juice and rosemary - looked intriguing so I decided to give it a try (recipe here).

It is a great recipe if you are angry because the first step involves bashing!

This is the chicken breast before it met the bottom of my saucepan:


And this is after:


The chicken didn't brown up much during the initial pan frying.  The breasts were bought from a supermarket and they were oozing water when cooked.  I had a suspicion they were soaked in water to increase the weight.  I'll stick with chicken from the butcher next time.

This is a progress shot, after the addition of vinegar, stock, orange juice and chopped rosemary.


I have to admit it didn't look very promising at that point.  The "sauce" was very watery and the chicken looked so bland.  I ended up adding a teaspoon of corn flour at the end to thicken up the sauce a little bit.

Here's the final product.  My camera has been playing up so the photo is a bit blurry.


The chicken was moist and tender, and the flavours worked surprisingly well together.  I like citrus in meat dishes so this is right up my alley.  It is a great meal for a summer evening.

Important note: Please follow the recipe's suggestion and serve it with rice.  I didn't do so for the adult serves but I mixed it with some rice for TLG.  He didn't like the dish (I think it's the orange juice), so I ended up eating his portion and the rice with the sauce tasted really good - I think it improves the dish by at least 30%!  Next time I will serve it with rice and some steamed green beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails