Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cream of mushroom soup

Some of you may remember that I was looking for a hand blender a while ago.  My friend Anurag mentioned Bamix in the comments.  I thought it was too expensive, but after a bit of research on its versatility, and the fact that the Bamix is the only model which with no need to change attachments, I took the plunge and bought the Bamix Deluxe, which comes with a grinder.


After getting the Bamix I wanted to try it out in a recipe. The first thing I could think of was cream of mushroom soup, so I found a recipe.

I tried out the grinder by using it to chop up an onion.  This is before.


And this is after.


Look at the pulp! It was probably too pulpy if I was going to stir fry the onion, but it was perfect for a soup.  I used the Bamix to chop up the parsley too.

The recipe suggested using 1L of milk; I went 50/50 milk and chicken stock.


In goes the mushrooms.


The pureeing of the mushroom in the pot didn't work as well as I hoped.  I could not get the Bamix to blend properly without using the grinder attachment.  Despite pureeing for a long time, here were lots of mushroom lumps left in the soup.


In exasperation I scooped some of the soup and used the grinder to puree the mushroom.  Probably not the best thing to do with the plastic casing but at that point I was a bit frustrated and not thinking straight.

The final product:


It was creamy, and I liked the mushroom flavour, but it wasn't exceptional. The ones you get from restaurants probably have a lot more butter and cream to make it super thick though.

I still haven't figured out the trick of using the Bamix to puree (it tends to work better with larger pieces, so maybe the mushrooms were too thinly sliced?).  Any advice from fellow Bamix users?

5 comments:

  1. Yuuummm... A little while ago I saw a segment on Martha which was a cream of brocoli soup and I have been meaning to make it ever since!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails