Friday, November 5, 2010

Question time: What to read in Fiji?

With less than a month to go before my Fiji trip (see the countdown clock on the right ^_^), it's time to sort out my holiday book list.

My requirements are not too onerous - I want a few books that are entertaining, do not require too much thinking, and not so intense that I have to finish in one sitting.  I'm not fussed about topic or genre, although I don't usually go for chick lit.

To give you an idea of my taste, I read The Time Traveller's Wife on our Fiji trip last year and for me it was a perfect holiday read.  The Devil Wears Prada was only OK, as was Water for Elephants.

I overheard my boss talking about books on the phone the other day and I asked her for a few suggestions, and this is the list she gave me:
  • Early novels featuring Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich
  • Olive Kittridge by Elizabeth Strout
  • The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Milford
  • Empire Falls by Richard Russo
  • Years of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
I haven't checked out any of those books yet (it's good to type them up so I can remove the post-it notes she wrote these names on from my wallet).

I'm also thinking about a few non-fiction titles.

Mamamia by Mia Freedman


I visit Mia's blog regularly and enjoy her posts, so this is a logical next step.

Lessons in Letting Go by Corinne Grant


When she plugged the book on Good News Week, I thought it was going to be a typical comedian's book - lots of jokes and not much substance.  After a bit of research it appears to be a more autobiographical title and the prologue is promising.

Now it's over to you - can you help with my list?

6 comments:

  1. I tell everyone to read the Millennium trilogy. I loved it. Stepahanie Plum novels are great too (there are loads of them) and anything by the Mitfords is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kitty. I started reading The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo a while ago but I was really bored with the journalist and his defamation(?) court case. At what point does it get interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When he gets to the Island. It does require a bit of effort but I was intrigued! I did realise however it might be a bit hard going for the relaxing holiday read you are after...

    ReplyDelete
  4. go with Mia's book - it is awesome! loved it!

    also Man Bites Murdoch is great.

    Or Why People Fail by Siimon Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation Sarah. Why People Fail looks like an interesting book, may not be for the holidays but something over Christmas I think. News Ltd makes me angry so I'm not sure if I want to read about how bad they really are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions
    on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

    My homepage: mp3 download

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails