Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wall of Hands


I used to participate in a fair bit of volunteer work. I have directed bike traffic at the Big Ride, wrapped Christmas presents for the MS Society, and ushered at a Desperate and Dateless ball.  I love to do my part for the community, and I always enjoyed my experiences.

Now with a job and a toddler, I can't spare the time to volunteer, which is a shame.  Hopefully I'll find the chance to do so in the future.

In the meantime, I am contributing finanically to worthy causes where I can.  I saw an ad for the Wall of Hands on smh.com.au today.  According to the Australian Literary and Numeracy Foundation, 4 in 5 indigenous kids in remote communities can't read. It is the aim of the Foundation to work with indigenous communities and schools to improve literacy rates.

I think about how much I enjoy both writing and reading, and promptly made a donation to the Foundation.  I hope that my small contribution will help a child on his or her path to literacy.

You can read more about Wall of Hands here.

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    Thank you for your lovely post and your generous contribution to ALNF's Wall of Hands campaign - we have been overwhelmed by the positive response received!

    All the best,
    Gaby Kemeny
    Communications Director at ALNF

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails