Monday, February 14, 2011

Chilli, coriander, chicken and barley salad

I haven't written a cooking post for a while. I recently moved from working 3 days a week to 4 days a week.  Mr Curious have been doing the grocery shopping and a fair share of the cooking while I try to settle into a new work-life equilibrium.

Finally I had a chance to consult a cookbook yesterday. I was looking up recipes for salads that I can bring to work. I am sick of buying overpriced lunch from the food courts near my office.  A decent takeaway lunch in the CBD is around $10, and half the time I didn't even enjoy the food.

I adapted a recipe from the AWW eat well look good cookbook (I bought it through Lifetime Distributor, someone in my office is a distributor).  The original recipe is for lamb backstrap, which is way too expensive for an office lunch.  So I used chicken thighs instead.

Mr Curious and I had some for dinner last night, and I have an extra serve for lunch today.

Step one - cook the barley.  I bought Marco organic pearled barley (from Woolworths, $2.79 for 500g).  This is what pearled barley looks like.


Barley is high in dietary fibre and protein, has a low GI, and contains vitamins and antioxidants (more details here).  Sounds pretty good to me.

The recipe suggested cooking the barley in boiling water uncovered for 25 minutes.  I didn't know whether it was meant to simmer or boiling rapidly the whole way through, so I adjusted the stove up and down a few times.  After the allotted 25 minutes the barley was still really hard.  I ended up cooking the barley for 45 minutes, which turned out to be the upper end of the recommend cooking time on the packet.  Next time I'll leave the stove on maximum heat the whole time.  The barley was cooled for 10 minutes after cooking.

Step 2 - the chicken.  I marinaded the chicken thigh fillets with a tablespoon of Bitton's chilli oil (which is all kinds of awesome) and a tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander, and put them in the fridge for 15 minutes.  Then I pan-fried them for 6 minutes each side, and cut them into strips after cooling.

Step 3 - lemon dressing.  Mixed 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon caster sugar.

Step 4 - once chicken was cooked and barley was cooled, I mixed them together with the lemon dressing and  quartered cherry tomatoes.  It was served with baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta cheese.

Besides the uncertainly with the barley cooking, the dish was super easy to cook.


Doesn't it look good? And it tasted delicious to boot. The barley was chewy with a nutty flavour, the chilli oil gave the chicken a kick without being overpowering, the lemon dressing was the right level of tangy (I may reduce the olive oil next time though). All the ingredients worked really well together and it was a very satisfying meal.

Here's the cost breakdown per serve:

1 chicken thigh fillet $2.10
33g barley $0.19
60g cherry tomatoes $0.38
25g baby spinach $0.38
25g goat's milk fetta cheese $1.25
1/4 of juice from 1 small lemon $0.25
Conservative estimate of cost of other ingredients and utilities (gas/water) $0.50
Total $5.05

This dish is definitely a winner, and I can see myself using the different components (barley, lemon dressing, chilli oil and coriander marinade) in other dishes.

Do you like bringing lunch to work?  If so, what is in your lunchbox?

14 comments:

  1. This looks so DELICIOUS! I will definitely be giving this a go! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, I've never tried barley!

    We also have Lifetime Distributors in our office, I love the assortment of cookbooks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! Looks delicious!! I'm definitely giving this one a go. Just need to get all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To leave no chance for fire to occur one must do regular inspections and testing, correct fuse
    ratings, shouldn't overload equipment, use electrically advanced devices and clean
    them on regular basis. This type of problem may be over through the usage of respirators.
    There were four hours between your clinic, with an antibiotic,
    and me.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage szkolenia P.Poż

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remarkable ideas. Studies has demonstrated that it is successful in direction of appetite
    suppression fats using and increased electricity metabolism.
    Garcinia Cambogia is definitely loaded with important vitamins,
    fibers, minerals and different healthy nutrition the system
    requires. Presently the question is what accurately are usually the advantages to choosing and working with Garcinina?
    Let's consider a closer glimpse at Garcinia Cambogia success stories

    my webpage ... pure garcinia cambogia extract testimonials

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually do not comment, but after reading through a
    great deal of remarks on this page "Chilli, coriander, chicken and barley salad".

    I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright.
    Could it be simply me or does it seem like a few of these comments come
    across as if they are left by brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional social sites, I'd like
    to keep up with anything new you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of your shared sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?


    my web-site: kursy kielce

    ReplyDelete
  7. A  Meaning that those words appeared on 10,200 sites.

    By doing this, you get to hold on to those visitors long after they've left your
    blog instead of potentially losing them forever.

    Before you tap on your keyboard, remind yourself that
    your focus is to inform or educate your readers and not to sell your products and services.


    Check out my web page :: Make More Money

    ReplyDelete
  8. bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!

    My site; musclerevxreview.com; www.danielasandoni.it,

    ReplyDelete
  9. We guarantee you that you will be happy with the utilization of this frontier hack tool that is brave.
    The download button is simply above, right there.

    Also visit my web page :: brave frontier hack download

    ReplyDelete
  10. The landlord did not know before. Neighbors nike free run 2and landlord dad to say.

    Landlord dad had promised! The landlord every time nike run free 5.0he saw
    in the magic mode. On all resentment think I go to another security free run shoescable is what will happen ah!

    But how much ah! Now super cheap ah! ! ! Although the network does not nike run shoesknow how to change so strange!
    ! But the landlord would like it more or less to have a reason for it!
    !





    Also visit my webpage - cheap nike free

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails