Thursday, March 17, 2011

Birthday weekend part 2

Look what greeted me first thing on my birthday?


Presented by a smiling TLG, of course!

Then I went back to sleep. *bliss*

When I woke up again, coffee and crossiant were waiting for me - breakfast in bed was awesome.

Thanks to Miss Kitty-Cat's recommendation, we headed to Burnt Orange for my birthday lunch.

Burnt Orange is a cafe and shop located in an old golf club house in Mosman. The cafe is on a verandah that wraps around the shop, so all tables enjoy the beautiful surrounds.


What a view!


I was still full from the crossiant so I ordred something light(ish).


Tasmanian salmon cake served on a crisp salad of baby cress & granny smith apple with a lemon mayonnaise ($21)

For reasons unknown I was expecting something similar to fish cakes from Thai restaurants, but this was very different.  The cake was made with large chucks of salmon with small cubes of potatoes in the mix.  The finely chopped apples bought crispness and freshness to the dish.  Nice.

Mr Curious ordered a pork dish that is not on the onilne menu.  I didn't have any; he assured me that it was delicious.  It certainly looked good.


After the meals I wandered around the shop.  There were a charming mix of fashion, books, homeware and kids' goodies for sale.


Something quickly took hold of TLG's attention.


It was an old-fashioned fire truck ride-on.  TLG was admiring it and the lovely shop assistant offered him a seat.  He even asked me if I wanted to take a photo!  I spoke with him afterwards and he found out that he wasn't meant to let kids sit inside, but TLG had such a big smile on his face he thought it was worth it!

I looked around for a birthday gift for myself.  There was a nice collection of cardigans at one end of the shops and I bought this cotton cardigan in navy.


The cardigan is so soft and fit me perfectly!  The brand is called "Vermilion" which I've never heard of.  I searched online when I got home to find out more about the brand.  They sell cashmere and cotton clothings for adults and for kids.  All their products are made in Nepal and they are involved in charity work in Kathmandu to support the local community. 

I was so impressed with the company I contacted the owner.  She said the company is just starting out in Australia and at the moment she's focussing on the wholesale side, and in the future there will be a list of stockists on the website.  In the meantime, some of their products are available here and here.  If I am more entrepreneurial I'll set up a store myself (ummmm, should I?).

After the purchase I returned to Mr Curious and TLG.  TLG was happy consuming a cookie.  I was too full to have dessert so I ordered a lemongrass tea instead.  It came in a pretty pink teapot.


I really enjoy lemongrass tea, I should really make it at home.

It was a great birthday lunch, relaxing, with comfy food and topped off with shopping.  The service was a bit uneven but it was a minor blemish.  We decided to come back for Mother's Day lunch, and apparently they have already taken 8 bookings for that day!

In a CCM first I'm posting an outfit photo with my head.  I wore a Satch orange maxi dress which was a Christmas present from Mr Curious, and the Just Cavalli sandals that I bought last year.


I was so used to wearing flats I could bearly walk in those sandals, but hey they looked hot :-D

After we went home and I had a chance to digest my lunch, Mr Curious bought out a birthday that was a tad unconventional.


We had no birthday candles left in the house so Mr C used a tea light instead.  And the "cake" was really 2 small pieces of chocolate cake that he bought in a local patisserie.  It actually made sense, since a normal cake would have been too big, and trust me, it was yummo.

We played with TLG for the rest of the afternoon and went to a local Japanese restaurant for a casual dinner.  Some silly TV after TLG went to bed rounded off my birthday celebration.

I turned 35 this year.  A minor milestone I guess.  Now when I fill in forms that asked for age in range I'll be in the 35-44 bucket!  Parts of me thinks that I'm getting old.  But I still have so much to learn and so much to give.  And that is much more important than a number, right?

I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for visiting my blog.  I don't offer amazing photography or witty musings or heartfelt stories.  I'm just sharing snippets of my life and talking about things that I like.  Sometimes I don't think that's enough, but the fact that you pop by (and some of you say hi in the comments) means that you get something out of what I have to say, and I am truly humbled by that.  So thank you, and I look forward to sharing more with you in the coming year :-D

23 comments:

  1. hi Ms Curious
    what a great birthday! sounds like you had a blast and you look fab in that gorgeous dress...35 is a great age. love anurag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you liked Burnt Orange - all the food I have had there has been good. My service experience has been a bit better than yours but we went when it was quieter. Both the dishes look fantastic. I love the shop too - very cute stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to spend a birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, MsC!

    We finally get the privilege of seeing your pretty face :) Gorgeous dress.

    Burnt Orange looks lovely, I'll have to file it in my "to try" list.

    And, yes, you should be the Australian retailer for Vermillion! I'll shop from you, always willing to help a good cause ;)

    x
    Gen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday and what a lovely day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday Ms Curious! I like your positive attitude of so much 'more to learn and give' and that is why I love your blog - as I'm always learning something new.

    You look fantastic in that orange dress btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely birthday! Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi MC, it's lovely to see you for the first time :) Love your burnt orange dress. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much everyone for your kind wishes and lovely comments. You all put a smile on my face :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job again.
    Thank you!

    My webpage; Shooting Games

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious to find out what blog platform you are utilizing? I'm having some
    small security issues with my latest blog and I'd like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?

    My weblog: How to Golf

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to
    get started and create my own. Do you need any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Here is my page; Juice Recipes for Juicers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having read this I thought it was really
    enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too
    much time both reading and leaving comments. But so what,
    it was still worthwhile!

    Here is my page; http://markets.financialcontent.com/gatehouse.rrstar/news/read/21691031/yourenotstupid.com_gives_consumers_the_inside_track_on_as_seen_on_tv_products

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great site you've got here.. It's hard to find good quality writing like yours nowadays.
    I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!


    Feel free to visit my web page jack lalanne power juicer pro

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there mates, its impressive paragraph on the topic of educationand fully explained, keep
    it up all the time.

    My website - juicing benefits

    ReplyDelete
  16. My partner and I stumbled over here by a different page and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking into your web page for a second time.

    Also visit my web-site - jack lalanne power juicer pro

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been surfing online greater than three hours nowadays, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty price sufficient for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the web shall be a lot more useful than ever before.

    Also visit my website :: http://www.guarde.info/index.php?do=/blog/15398/get-balanced-employing-the-omega-vert-juicer

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet visitors,
    its really really pleasant piece of writing on building up new web site.


    Take a look at my page; gift ideas for men

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this blog; this blog carries remarkable and genuinely fine stuff for readers.

    Also visit my page; power juicer

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are actually a excellent webmaster. The website loading velocity is
    incredible. It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you have done a wonderful task in this topic!

    Have a look at my homepage reverse osmosis filtration

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good write-up. I definitely love this website. Stick with it!


    Also visit my web blog ... hottest gift ideas

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great blog here! Additionally your web site rather a lot up fast!
    What web host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink to your host?

    I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

    My website; https://blag.wiki.aktivix.org/index.php?title=The_New_Tea_Bag_Bash_Diet_Program

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am genuinely glad to read this website posts which includes tons of helpful
    data, thanks for providing such statistics.

    Here is my homepage: reverse osmosis filtration

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails