Thursday, June 30, 2011

Healthy Life Part 3 - Mind Over Body

Skipping rope by MeFarSo on Flickr  

One of the exercises in my PT workout last Friday was 30 squat jumps while holding a 5kg medicine ball. My thighs were burning after a while (there were also walking lunges, ouch!) and I was stopping frequently for rest. At the beginning of the third set of jumps my PT Nat said "if you pause during this set we'll start the counting from 1 again". I tried to push on but stopped at 15. When I started again and Nat counted "1" I was pissed off. I did 15 of the jumps already! I didn't want to do another 30. Part of me wanted to walk away, but I knew Nat wasn't going anywhere. At the end I somehow push my way through another 30.

Nat asked me throughout the session about how intense the exercises were. The exercises were tough but I felt that my mind was placing limits on my body. For example, if the exercise was for 20 reps and I was tired, I would unconsciously pace myself to stop after 10. I felt that my body was able to do more if my mind was not interfering.

Nat said that it is common, that plenty of people (including those who are fit) place mental roadblocks that stop them from exercise at their full capacity.

Why do we do that? I guess in one way it’s the brain trying to “protect” the body from hard work and muscle fatigue. Part of it is a lack of confidence and self-belief – “I’m not fit enough for this”. Of course there is just plain inertia too.

One of the best things about having a PT is that someone is there to help you kick the roadblocks away. So many times when I exercised by myself I would stop early because I felt tired, or because the weight was “too heavy”. The excuses are endless. With a good PT you have no excuse. The PT should know your fitness level and the sessions will be challenging but not beyond your abilities.

Nat said the best thing is to not think about it and surrender to the PT’s instruction. As she said, “why try to change something that is out of your control? Just DO IT.”

Sometimes I try not to count how many reps I’ve done, and ask Nat not to tell me my progress, so I can do the exercise without thinking. And I try to remember why I’m doing it, that it is GOOD FOR ME. They’re not foolproof methods (I still pause between reps more than I’d like) but I find them helpful.

Another example of “mind over body” is skipping. I’m one of the most uncoordinated people I know and my memory of skipping is more about tripping. When I saw Nat with jumping rope last Friday I developed an instant dislike, I just didn’t want to do it.

But it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Yes, I was still tripping the rope here and there, and it was hard work, but after a little while and some advice from Nat I was doing better than expected. To stop myself from overanalysing I started singing a song in my head and skipping to the beat.

Nat brought the rope again on Monday. She said she was going to break down my loathing of the rope. After Friday’s session I knew I can do it. Without my mind saying “this is too hard”, my tripping reduced dramatically and I was faster too. In the last set I only stopped once.

Skipping will never make my “top 10 fun exercises to do” list but I am no longer threatened by it.

This mindset change applies to eating too, but that’s the subject of another post.

What techiques do you use to push your body 100%?

P.S. To win a free PT session with Nat or other goodies, don't remember to enter my giveaway!

16 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the not thinking about how many reps you've done or what you're up to - I never count with my PT and always wait for him to tell me when to stop. I know my PT knows my limits and that he wouldn't ask me to do something I couldn't do (including walking lunges with an 80lb barbell on my back today - ouch!).

    To keep me going and so that I give 100%, I just think about where I was before I even started my fitness journey, and know I don't ever want to go back there again - that usually gives me an extra push.

    Congrats on the skipping progress too - I agree with you on skipping as well, so not my favourite thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having this conversation with people at work yesterday about a similar thing-how you get to Friday and cannot comprehend another day at work. Or by the en of term you physically couldn't do another day. Even though last term was 12 weeks and you made it through, so this one was only 9 weeks... I think it is your headspace. Mind over matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm
    trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own
    blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    my weblog: vacation rental property management
    Also see my website :: vacation rental property insurance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the great work!

    Look at my site residential property management services

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?

    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

    Here is my webpage: furnace repair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.

    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo
    News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

    my webpage :: goodman gas furnace
    my web page - furnace prices

    ReplyDelete
  7. oZzy moved away a few months ago, I miss his cock, and I'm always hungry for sexual intercourse.
    FUCK MY PUSSY!

    Also visit my web site: hcg injections

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my family member! I want to say that this
    article is awesome, nice written and include almost all
    significant infos. I would like to peer more posts like this .


    my web-site ... mederma stretch mark therapy reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I've
    had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there.
    I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any ideas or tips? Cheers!

    Also visit my page diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hі to all, how is the whоle thing, ӏ thinκ evеrу оne is gettіng more frоm this web site, and yοur νiews are nice in faѵoг of neω ρeoρle.



    Have a looκ аt my weblog epilator for face

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Canon refurbished cameras are able to provide this quality and reliability because they have been checked, repaired and serviced by their manufacturers.

    What is the best point and shoot digital camera 2011.
    On the other hand, the Nano worked fine, but after a couple of hours of steadicam work, my arms were
    getting tired.

    My page; canon 6d

    ReplyDelete
  12. The apple tv is much cheaper now, at only $99,
    a far cry from what it used to sell for back in 2007 when it was more than $200.
    s time to prop up the bottom of the Apple - TV and expose all of its internals.

    A smooth interface, lots of recommendations,
    and even the new Just for Kids section.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sis advised me about your web site and how nice it is.

    She’s right, I am really impressed with the writing and slick design.
    It seems to me you’re simply scratching the floor when it comes to what you possibly can accomplish, however you’re off
    to an important begin!

    Also visit my homepage: trying to conceive tips

    ReplyDelete
  14. If some one needs expert view on the topic of blogging then i suggest him/her to visit
    this weblog, Keep up the good job.

    Also visit my web page http://www.dailystrength.org/people/3025162/journal/6474980

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb, what a blog it is! This weblog gives helpful information to us, keep it up.


    Feel free to visit my web blog kitchen remodeling ideas before and after

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sо I haѕten tо гeasѕure οur cгеatorѕ of
    Fashiοn: if іn 2011 уou dіdnot
    cгeatе succеssful collectіons, do not fοrgеt tο іnveѕt іn сlаsѕiс but stylіsh pieces.
    I am not ѕelling ticκеts to a specifiс show will bе held.


    Ϻy pаgе ... Thoi trang nam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails