Monday, August 15, 2011

Melbourne 2011 Take 2 - The Food

I love food in Melbourne. So much variety, and a different vibe from Sydney - intimate but chilled-out at the same time.

I was reading the onboard magazine on the flight to Melbourne and there was an article about street food in Melbourne. One of the eateries mentioned was Cruzao Arepa Bar in Brunwick. I've never had Venezuelan food before so I persuaded Mr Curious to go there for lunch.

The restaurant was casual with fun artworks on the wall. The middle and the bottom paintings were my favourites.


Cruzao's signature dish is the arepa, a pita-like pocket made with corn, grilled and stuffed with ingredients of your choice. Mr Curious ordered the pabellon (shredded beef, black beans, plantain and feta, left) and I had the llanera (pork leg, tomato and haloumi, both $9.50).


The arepa was soft and moist with a distinct corn flavour (similar to corn chips). The pork leg was in pull-apart territory, and the tomato slices and haloumi worked really well together. I can imagine this being served in street stores as a snack or lunch on the run. Mr Curious highly enjoyed his arepa also.

We also ordered the lequeños (cheese bread sticks with hogao, $11)


They were so good. Straight out of the oven (or frying pan? I'm not sure) it was doughy, cheesy and surprisingly light. The hagao was similar to a salsa but it was more like a paste. There was a small jar of chilli on the table to add a kick to the dish.

We were still a bit peckish after we finished the above so we ordered the empanaditas (filled corn pastries with guasacaca, with beef or cheese fillings, $11)


Don't they look golden and delicious? Well yes they were :-D

Mr Curious had a Brazilian beer and I had a virgin mojito to wash down the food.

I am so glad I found this little gem. I wish there is a similar joint in Sydney!

We went to The Press Club that night. No photo because it was a romantic dinner. My favourite was the eel kroketes (croquettes) that was part of the salmon main (photo here). On the flip side, I was a bit disappointed with the bread. I have a high expectation of bread from a Greek restraurant and it was only alright.

The restaurant ticks all the boxes - slick decor, efficient service and high quality food, but on a whole the dishes were a bit too rich for my liking. Mr Curious was a big fan though.

We were planning to go to Madame Sousou for breakfast (thanks for the recommendation Ling) the next morning but we slept in (bliss!) and with a full schedule ahead, we opted to stay in the CBD. Running in Lulu recommended Il Solito Posto for dinner but it was closed on Sunday, so we went there for breakfast instead.

I was still a bit full from the night before so I ordered the burcher muesli ($12)


I liked the grated apple on top - I'm going to try that next time I made bircher muesli at home. The dish was so fresh and a great way to start the day. There was a nut of some sort in the muesli which I wasn't a big fan of but it was easy to pick them out.

Mr Curious had the Italian scrambled eggs with prosciutto, roma tomato, basil and parmesan ($14) plus a side of bacon.


I was too full to sample his dish. He gave it the two thumbs up.

For lunch we went to our old favourite Ezard. They have a 3-course express lunch with a glass of wine for $55pp which was very good value.

I love the bread with their homemade olive oil and 3 dips (photo here). I can't decide if I like the sweet then spicy rock sugar/chilli combo more or the delicious bonito salt with seaweed.

The highlight of the meal was the pork belly with caramel sauce - rich but yet so refined.

I had the caramelised apple and rhubarb crumble with vanilla mousse and apple cider sorbet for dessert.


It was nice but not as "wow" as Ezard's other desserts.

Mr Curious forced down the honeycrunch icecream, toasted gingerbread and sugar swirl :-D

It was the first time I went to Ezard for lunch. With sunlight streaming in from the windows and less people it was a more relaxed experience which I enjoyed.

We were let down by the service though. We ordred the oyster shooters but they were never delivered (by the time we received our first course it was a bit pointless to ask for the appetiser) and the bill we received initially was incorrect (they didn't include the desserts). I didn't leave a tip. I didn't give them a reason and I wonder if I should've written something on the bill.

I will still go back to Ezard for its food, I'm hoping the below-par service was a once-off.

Overall it was another wonderful culinary journey. I can't wait to be back again. MoVida is on my hit list and I want to go to Madame Sousou next time!

24 comments:

  1. That all looks so delicious! I'm going to have to try a couple of the places you mentioned :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cheese sticks in particular is making my mouth water *droooool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed Il Solito Posto! I was just there on Saturday night and it was delish. I've never been for breakfast before so I'll have to try one day very soon.

    What a shame about Ezard. It is our favourite restaurant and we go there every year for our anniversary. Fingers crossed the sub-par service was a once off.

    I actually haven't been to Movida but my brother raves about it and it is definitely on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arggghhh you're making me hungry :D~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha making you lot hungry was my aim!

    @Running in Lulu, I definitely want to go to Il Solito Posto for dinner next time. It has a great rating on Urbanspoon which is always a good sign. Ezard is lovely. I visited them back in 2000 when they first opened. It was one of the few times when I had a one-on-one dinner with my dad so it was very memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. А pеrson eѕѕentiallу assist to make ѕignіficantlу artiсles I might
    ѕtatе. Τhat iѕ the ѵery fігst tіme I frequеnted your ωеbѕite pаge аnd tο thіѕ point?
    Ӏ amаzeԁ ωіth the геsearch
    yоu made to crеаte this рarticulаr put
    up inсгеdible. Excellent activitу!


    Fеel free to ѵisіt my blog post .
    .. http://www.hvzgatech.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:SheldonGu

    ReplyDelete
  7. With ԁozens οf raԁіο appѕ for
    i - Phоne avаilаble in i - Τuneѕ, thеre is an app fог
    еverу category of muѕic loveг to lοvе.
    (Chеck out the artіcle: What's Really Out There in the Night Sky to see how some celestial objects appear at different EM frequencies. A MOBILE APP GIVES THE STATION A DIRECT MARKETING CHANNEL TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR LISTENERS.

    My blog :: visit the up coming document

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there, You have done an excellent job. I'll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited
    from this web site.

    My website games angry birds easter

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother suggested I may like this blog. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann't consider just how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

    My blog post :: just click the following web site

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you ωould like tо increasе уοur expeгіenсe ѕimplу κееp visitіng thiѕ web page аnd be uρdаted ωith the moѕt uρ-to-datе information poѕted heге.


    Here is mу webрage; 163.19.62.16

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each listing includes the skills taught and the suggested age for the activity.
    If you want to enjoy the game thoroughly then you need to get on board of a reliable online
    bingo site to get the maximum enjoyment as well as benefit of
    the game. The player guides Phen through 10
    levels of dungeon gameplay, finding a whole host of
    weapons and other items as well.

    Here is my homepage; kostenlos spielen ohne anmeldung
    Also see my webpage > internet radio

    ReplyDelete
  12. Considеr гunning а contеst oг offerіng a fгee ρгoduct tip sheet that accоmpаnіes the interview.
    (Checκ out the аrticlе: What's Really Out There in the Night Sky to see how some celestial objects appear at different EM frequencies. Additionally, some new attributes make it even easier to make radio buttons do exactly what you want them to do.

    Have a look at my web page: radio sender

    ReplyDelete
  13. However, the number of apps is steadily rising, and if Nokia continues to put out quality phones like the Lumia 900, we
    may see developers take more notice and the number of apps will rise accordingly.
    replica cartier earrings. Hometown Retired households are comprised of retirees, two-thirds of
    whom are over 65; nonetheless, don't assume that these people don't do much more than hang around the house and watch TV all day.
    With an average annual fee of 10,000 pounds, representing between 25% - 36% of professional incomes this has risen assiduously by 41% in the last five years. An analysis this change will give us insight into the supposed benefits they entail. For an in depth guide to the E8400 chip, I highly recommend reading this article: Final Thoughts on the Intel E8400. Talcahuano. I'm the kind who smokes and judges people' Vanda pretends to demonstrate a yoga pose with a cigarette in her hand' 'Whoa, THAT guy's out of shape''. a far cry: a long way from. Two people have a heated argument, voices raised, vocalized obscenities, hearts racing ' obvious discord all rooted in fear.

    Also visit my webpage ... http://www.wotsupp.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please supplement charge before use when the battery has been kept for
    a long time. As you lift out the screen you'll see it is still attached via a ribbon cable. Mobile computing is continuously getting better with best performance, smarter processors, light weight and handy designs, but as we all know, the main power of the mobile computing device (weather it is laptop, mobile, PDA or e-book reader) resides in it's battery
    capacity.

    Also visit my homepage - videos.saa.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't want to drive all the way back to Autozone to pick up a new terminal post clamp, so I figured I'd attach it and see what happened.
    An alternate electrical power source reduces the probability that the access technique will turn
    out to be inoperable via strength reduction and aid conserve battery lifestyle.
    Although, sound card is integrated device, it functions similar to brightness of
    the screen when talking about power consumption.


    Here is my blog :: gunchinews.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I realize that there is not a ton of variety in this list, since Rogue and i - Net - Hack are essentially the same and Sorcerer #1 and #2 are
    more overtly the same. If you want to enjoy the game thoroughly
    then you need to get on board of a reliable online bingo site to get the maximum enjoyment as well as benefit of the
    game. In our next article, we'll be tackling using SNES4i - Phone to do exactly that - play those old favorites, like Chono Trigger, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, or even Super Mario Bros 3.

    Feel free to visit my blog ... sempreacores.info
    Also see my web site :: youtube converter

    ReplyDelete
  17. The particular electronic cigarette ego basic starter kit is fantastic for new users.
    Remove other nearby wireless devices, such as a cordless or cellular telephone and make sure the mouse is at least eight inches away from
    a wireless keyboard. Aside from these types of power packs, you can even choose the 8-cell
    and also 12-cell electric battery.

    Also visit my web site: onlineradio

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you quit, you can immediately feel its decision within
    24 hours, health benefits, which can cause you to not smoke forever.
    Hold your device on end to locate two small screws on either side of the dock.
    For the first generation, you'll need to release the back cover from the unit by running a shim along the edge of the unit to release all of the clips holding the backing on.

    Feel free to surf to my blog www.codecademy.com - www.codecademy.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. With the You - Tube Mobile Application you can also find
    videos with the easy to use search tool and record and play DVD quality
    videos direct on your phone. I wanted to know, since we have gotten so
    intimate, if you are seeing or having sex with other partners (so we can keep this relationship honest and
    not play games). Clearly as the genre of neo soul continues to evolve, so will its musical
    direction into even more creative sub-branches of the same tree of soul that funk planted,
    that jazz watered, and that R&B pruned.

    Also visit my web blog - simply click the next site

    ReplyDelete
  20. Оbviously, you'll be able to go to sites as You - Tube at which you might locate lots of funny vids. The broadcasting process is not complicated as all the equipments essential are easily available but with new ideas coming up every day, new requirements rise with new criteria of transmission like Dab Digital Radio and DRM. These include the artist-branded music channels such as The Grateful Dead Channel, Eminem's Shaԁe
    45, Јimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville; there is even the classical music Metropolitan Opera Radio channel.

    Take a look at my web site radio sender

    ReplyDelete
  21. Each listing includes the skills taught and the suggested age for the activity.

    Each program will have a box with a checkmark, find the programs you'd like to uninstall and uncheck that box. In our next article, we'll be tackling using SNES4i
    - Phone to do exactly that - play those old favorites, like Chono Trigger,
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts, or even Super Mario Bros 3.



    Also visit my blog post; onlineradio

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has made available
    to communities literature which provides guidance and technical
    information educating communities on how to become disaster resistant in
    the face of natural disasters. Hold your device on end to locate two small screws on either side of the dock.
    Aside from these types of power packs, you can even choose
    the 8-cell and also 12-cell electric battery.


    Feel free to surf to my web page :: mouse click the following article

    ReplyDelete
  23. Essentially, it is usually drastically more affordable in the event
    you exchange the actual battery oneself, as opposed to finding a storage area to get
    it done. An alternate electrical power source reduces the
    probability that the access technique will turn out to be
    inoperable via strength reduction and aid conserve battery
    lifestyle. Double Tap (Tap the home button twice > Press down on an
    app for one second > Hit the "minus" button on all
    apps that are running) When you open an app, it stays running
    until you actually turn it off.

    Feel free to visit my blog: gratis spiele spielen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails