Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Saturday

Yesterday morning started with a glorious sleep-in (of sorts). Mr C went for an early morning bike ride. When TLG woke up I was half asleep in bed and ABC2 kept him company until Mr C returned. I stayed in bed for another nap and didn't get up until 9:30! Bliss.

The day's main event was a trip to Opera House with my friends S and E to see ex-High Court judge Michael Kirby as part of the Festival of Dangerous Ideas. One of the few joys in my law school days was reading Justice Kirby's compassionate and well written judgments, and it was a pleasure to see him in person. As expected he was articulate and wise, and he knew how to entertain the audience.

He spoke on 3 topics:
  • The importance of public education - the need for more funding (or re-balancing of funding between public and private schools) and for it to maintain a secular institution
  • Animal welfare - he stopped eating red meat and poultry after reading a book in 2009 about the cruelty of animal slaughter
  • Gay rights and same-sex marriage - he read out a letter sent to him by the Australian Family Association opposing same-sex marriage (and homosexual relationships in general) and he torn their arguments apart to the delight of the crowd. He talked about his love for this partner of 42 years, and that to deny his right to have a relationship with such a wonderful man is "evil" in his opinion.
His new book called A Private Life has just been published (he cheekily plugged his book many times during the talk). I'm keen to get my hands on a copy - maybe I'll do my FIL a favour and ask him to buy that for me for Christmas. Here's an excerpt of the book - oh if only I can write like that! And here's an interview with the ABC earlier this week.

On the way to the Concert Hall I saw some Gruffalo merchanises at the SOH gift shop. My sister gave The Gruffalo to TLG when we were in Hong Kong and he loved the book. So after the talk I went and bought him this cute apron.



I also liked the domino set - I think I'll get it for him next time.


We had lunch at Opera Bar. I had a delicious artichoke risotto and we talked (and talked), mostly about pregnancy and motherhood as E has a 4 month old boy and S is due for her first baby later this month. It was nice to have a good long chat with friends.

It was almost 4pm when we parted company. I headed to David Jones with the aim of buying a pair of sandals. I had no luck in that department, but a wander down to women's fashion led to the following purchases.

toi et moi cotton purple beaded throw


I have not heard of toi et moi before, it looks like a fun brand. This will be perfect with a black singlet and skinny jeans.

Diesel T-shirt


Brings out my inner rock-chick!

Antipodium Natural Urge dress


This photo isn't doing the dress any justice. Here's a maxi version that is sold out on ASOS.


Pretty, isn't it? And it was only $89 (down from $199). The sleeveless top in the same collection is on sale at ASOS for £65 so I definitely nabbed a bargain!


With a shopping bag full of goodies it was time to go home and spend some quality time with Mr C and TLG. TLG loved the apron and wanted to help me prepare dinner. I entrusted him with the important tasks of removing the husk from the corn cobs and spreading oil on the steaks, which he completed with aplomb. It was a lovely way to bond. And the dinner was yummy too.

Wishing you all an enjoyable end to the (for NSW and ACT readers, long) weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Would have loved to go see Michael Kirby speak but unfortunately more travel wasn't on the cards for us. I'll have to settle for the book instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to spend a Saturday :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ms curious I was there & met him got a pic & he signed my book he's soooooo nice. Luv anurag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web page, as i wish for enjoyment, as this
    this website conations actually nice funny stuff too.



    Also visit my web blog ... http://www.zeitreise-2030.de/sites/mediawiki/index.php?title=Currently_The_Green_Eco_Group_-_How_It_Could_Benefit_Somebody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

    It will always be useful to read through content from other
    writers and practice a little something from other web sites.


    My homepage; Com.Gh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets
    I could add to my blog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    my blog - buy solar panels residential

    ReplyDelete
  7. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
    as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away your
    intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you
    could be giving us something enlightening to read?

    Here is my blog; stretch mark lotion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurrah! Finally I got a blog from where I be able to genuinely get useful facts regarding my
    study and knowledge.

    Here is my weblog bbwiki.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails