Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thoughts from a Sydney shopping day

The Bathurst 1000 was on last Sunday. Of no particular relevance to me, except when Mr Curious said to me on Friday "I'll watch the race with TLG at home, why don't you go out, maybe do some shopping?".

I didn't need to be asked twice.

So on Sunday I caught the bus into the city and spent the day within a 100m radius of Pitt St mall. Almost 6 hours of browsing, trying on clothes, and of course buying. I will write about my purchases but that's not the focus on this post. Below are some random observations on shopping from the day.
  • I arrived at QVB a bit after 10:30am and ALL THE SHOPS WERE CLOSED. I checked my watch to make sure I had the time right. The cafes must love it, they were doing roaring trades. I assume the decision to delay opening hours till 11am is based on the lack of sales during early hours, but I can't but think that with Myer, DJs and Westfields just a block away (or less) they may be shooting themselves in the foot.
  • Full prices at high street stores are getting ridiculous. I went into Country Road and French Connection and I cannot picture myself paying RRP on any of the items. With the current economic environment they go on sale fairly quickly (I saw a pair of sandals I liked at Country Road the week before, and by this week it was discounted from $70 to $50), but with overseas online retailers like ASOS and Zara (more later) I wonder if a general lowering of price points with fewer sales is a better way to go.
  • I went through both Myer and DJs looking for bargains. Didn't find anything at Myer (except some boys' underpants for TLG at the children section), the items on sale were not inspiring. I even went to Miss Shop to have a look (I was after some casual tops) and nada. It was more promising at DJs. There were racks and racks of discounted clothings to go through on both Levels 1 and 2, including some from Australian designer labels. Discounts were up to 75% for many designers. I didn't see clothings of similar calibre on sale at Myer. Where is Myer is offloading its unsold Australian designer stock?
  • I almost bought this Shona Joy top (discounted to $39) but decided against it at the end - I'm a bit uncertain about loose fit tops.

  • I didn't leave DJs empty handed - I bought this fun top/dress from Kirrily Johnston's S/S 2010 collection for $99 (down from $399). No, I did NOT buy the matching leggings.

Here's a photo without the embellishments.


I like that it can be worn two ways. There is a small button to gather the sides to form a figure hugging dress (as above) or you can undo the button and wear it loose.
  • I know I'm super late but I went into Zara for the first time. I have been to Zara overseas so I knew what to expect. There were certainly lots of choices. I was tempted by some of the bright coloured jeans but the long line to the change room banished the thought. There is still a reasonable mark up between Australian and overseas prices, but not as much as other international brands such as Esprit. I can live with some mark up (Australia is a small market, far away and $A exchange rates can be volatile) but 100%+ mark up will stop me from buying. For all the hype at its opening, it is just another high street store with some nice stuff and some not-so-nice. I didn't buy anything.
  • GAP is boring. For a store with good basics I pick UNIQLO anyday.
  • I guess I'm never going to be a GASP girl - I bought something from Supre. Cute and a bargain at $20.
  • I also bought another one of the bra I liked from the CK underwear store at 50% off. Nice customer service from the SA which is always a plus. Another loyalty card to add to my collection.
  • I love online shopping but it IS nice to see, feel and try on clothes to see how they fit.
  • With DVF available at shopbop with free shipping, will the store at Westfields become an expensive fitting room?
  • Overall I'm lukewarm about the new-ish Westfields, I like the new labels that opened shop there but there is something about the layout that leaves me cold. ifc mall in Hong Kong is much more to my liking in terms of shopping centre design.
  • Exception to the point above: I love the food court on Level 5. Great variety, good quality and not a fast food joint in sight. Must explore the restaurants soon.
  • It feels like The Strand Arcade is slowly dying. It must have taken a big hit from Westfields. I didn't even go up to Level 2, half of shops looked closed.
  • I went into Burberry on George Street for the first time also. I saw a pair of sunnies in Vogue's October issue that I liked. Unfortunately they didn't suit me. The layout of the store was underwhelming, I didn't feel it at all. I hope LV does a better job with its new flagship store a block away (corner of George and King Sts, opening 3 December).
  • Shopping is exhausting. My body was ready for a lie-down by 3:30pm. I soldiered on until 4:15pm. As a form of exercise it was a fun one.
Blogging is exhausting too! Even this rambling post took almost 2 hours. Like shopping, it has been fun. I just need more hours in the day!

I have been thinking about writing a series of posts on shopping, especially on online shopping and the influence of social networks. This post may just get me started. Part of the series is a survey for you to complete - are you keen?

40 comments:

  1. I am keen! I really enjoyed reading your post and appreciate the time it must have taken to write it - my blog post yesterday took a total of three hours to complete (actually it took 5 but that's because I somehow got logged out of my Wordpress an hour in and I didn't realise til I went to publish :'( - no autosave either!).

    Anyways, I hadn't realised that the shops are now opening at 11am on Sundays, just shows how much shopping I've done on the weekend lately.

    I love that KJ dress on you, and know how you feel about loose fit tops. I've never worn one that's flattering on me :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, Australian retailers are quite annoying. They don't want to work proper hours, charge us ridiculous mark ups and steal others designs...

    I am either buying on sales or online... same as many many other shoppers.

    RIP Aussie retail.

    Yes, blogging takes time.. I am spending on average 4 hrs per post :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. UNIQLO is amazing, I only just discovered it recently when I was overseas. I brought a bunch of great quality business shirts, wish I brought more now! I read they are looking to expand to Aust. in the next two years, YAY!

    Australian markups kill me, especially when the quality is usually poor in middle brand chain stores.

    I love the food level at Westfields, it was my favourite part of the whole place!

    Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone necessarily lend a hand to make severely posts I would state.
    This is the first time I frequented your web page and up
    to now? I surprised with the research you made to make
    this actual put up extraordinary. Magnificent process!
    Also visit my homepage : http://papillex.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this website, and piece of writing is actually fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types of content.
    My webpage :: 3d Video games

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, of course this piece of writing is really pleasant and I have learned lot
    of things from it concerning blogging. thanks.

    my homepage ... Diets That work for women
    My web page - diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there, I think your web site could possibly be having web browser compatibility
    issues. When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in I.
    E., it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Apart from that, excellent blog!

    Take a look at my blog ... laser stretch mark removal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Currently it sounds like Wordpress is the best blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on
    your blog?

    Feel free to visit my website - buy solar panels your home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long comment
    but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing
    all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!



    Here is my web blog: silicon chip magazine 2003 download

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace,
    when i read this article i thought i could also create comment
    due to this good paragraph.

    Here is my web site: Buy Konarka Solar Cells

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm extremely impressed together with your writing skills and also with the structure on your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a great weblog like this one these days.
    .

    Stop by my homepage golfnow.com gift certificate

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're actually a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is incredible. It seems that you're doing any
    unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great activity on this matter!



    Review my web blog lytecube.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good way of explaining, and good post to get data regarding
    my presentation focus, which i am going to convey in college.


    Also visit my homepage :: laser stretch mark removal

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spot on with this write-up, I really believe that this site needs a
    lot more attention. I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the info!

    Have a look at my homepage catalog.Abook-club.Ru

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there every one, here every person is sharing such
    familiarity, thus it's pleasant to read this website, and I used to go to see this webpage every day.

    Feel free to visit my webpage http://www.colinofthewild.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good info. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have book marked it for later!

    Review my webpage ... laser stretch mark removal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company
    you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a honest price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

    My web page; discreetphysici13.newsvine.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find many
    of your post's to be exactly I'm looking for.
    Do you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?
    I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web log!

    Feel free to surf to my web site :: computer parts wholesale uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goοԁ shοrt intro, made me rеad the ωholе post.

    Mine alwаys ѕeem to drag on, yours is nice anԁ effectual.



    My web-sіte ... beatfarm.in

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just savouring me fiгst ρint of Stella
    in nearly a yеaг. It's easy to forget how nice some things actually are !! One can is enough to make it hard to read all these comments properly!

    Also visit my web site ... fast cash loans

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll be posting my own version of this as soon as I'νe lоoked into
    it morе. For nοw I'll just say I'm nοt so
    sure аbout іt.

    Look into my page: fast cash loans uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ι'm thinking at what age you start to get wiser and get used to all this nonsense.

    Look at my homepage: fast money loans

    ReplyDelete
  23. Goοd read, especially response #fіve
    I thіnk. Wοrth remеmbeгing.


    Here іs my blog post :: fast cash loan today

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

    Here is my web-site :: asbestos related diseases

    ReplyDelete
  25. This design is incredible! You certainly know how to keep
    a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to
    start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

    Take a look at my web blog - orangecountyjong61.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where are your геfeгences?

    My blog post; fast cash loan guaranteed

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added"
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Bless you!

    Here is my website - dcdiy7twedell.xanga.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your site. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like
    to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back
    to mine. Please send me an email if interested.
    Many thanks!

    Look into my page: baker brothers plumbing tucson

    ReplyDelete
  29. I will be adding my oωn сomments on this as soοn as I've looked into it more closely. Right now I'm
    not ѕo sure about it.

    mу web page: cheap personal loans

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now thеn pеople lets all calm ԁown anԁ hаѵе a nіce
    hοt bath and a cup of tea.

    Feel free to visit my homepаge; long term loans for people with bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog
    post or vice-versa? My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe
    we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free
    to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Wonderful blog by the way!

    Also visit my weblog :: appliance repair service

    ReplyDelete
  32. I сonstɑntly emailed this web site post paցe to аll my associates,
    for the reason that if likе to reaɗ it next my links will too.


    My web sіte unsecured loan (exhibitfiles.org)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely message <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails